Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Episode 1.5: "Hooked on Vonix"



“Yaaahhh!” I screamed as I swung my hammer at this mysterious interloper. I held back when I saw that it was another student, head intact, complete with Buddy Holly glasses and shortly cropped hair. I lowered my hammer.

“What are you doing creeping around in the dark like that? I almost bashed your head in!” I took a deep breath while my heart settled down.

“I’m sorry,” He said as he held his hands out, palms facing me, “I’m not here to hurt you. But I do have one question. That phone you were about to use…is it a Vonix?”

“Yeah, but it’s not mine. I…” He interrupted me by slapping the phone out of my hand and stomping it to shiny black pieces. I stared at him in disbelief. After a few hard stomps, he looked back at me.

“Just what in the hell do you think you’re doing? Now we’re just left with campus rent-a-cops!” I nodded towards the security phone booth. The guy caught his breath and removed his glasses. Squinting as he wiped them off with his sleeve, he replied, “I’m saving your life!” which was not the response I was expecting.

“What, from Shawn’s phone? I think I could have handled a Blackberry, dude.” He put his glasses back on.

“That,” he paused for emphasis, “was no Blackberry. You don’t know what’s going on, do you?” I guess he had me there.

“Apart from some freaky mutants eating their way out of people’s heads, I really don’t know what’s going on. Enlighten me…” I extended my hand, gesturing for him to tell me his name.

“Oh. I’m Jeff. Jeff Wiggins.” We shook hands.

“I’m Marla Killian.”

“Charmed. Listen,” he began, “Those things, whatever they are…well they were implanted into peoples’ heads via Vonix Smartphones.” I looked at him incredulously, trying to visualize how that would even work.

“How would that even work?” I asked him sharply. I don’t know why I bothered raising an argument on the subject. I guess parasitical cell phone waves are as good an explanation as any for this mess.

“I have some ideas. And I guarantee that if we search the pockets of every headless corpse on campus, we’d find a Vonix phone. They’ve been planning this for years now…just waiting for the right moment.”

“Who’s been planning what? Explain it to me like I have no idea what you’re talking about. Which I don’t.” Jeff let out a nasally sigh and rubbed his temples, which I automatically took to be a sign that he was a student of the computer sciences.

“In short…aliens are behind this. They manufactured these phones to somehow electronically transmit a microscopic embryo that grows into the things that we’ve been seeing emerge from peoples’ heads. They played upon our weakness for phone gadgetry, and we have paid dearly for it.” Since I really had no explanation for what was going on, I felt like I had to take Jeff’s idea until a more practical one came along.

NEXT:
"JEFF'S WEIRD PLAN"

1 comment: