Thursday, September 20, 2012

Episode 4.3: A Baker Named Lyle



We crept as silently as possible to the back of the store towards the bakery.  Loaves of French bread and rows of donuts waited indifferently behind their glass display cases, as if today were any other day.  Another sound pierced the air—this one more like the pots and pans were being kicked around on the floor.  There wasn’t much light coming from the windows that peeked into the kitchen, but I could see a slight, shadowy movement somewhere in the darkness. 
      
Minh had removed the Glock from her waistband and now held it rigidly, ready to blow a hole through anything slimy that we found back there.  I pressed the barrel of my shotgun up to the swinging door that led into the kitchen.  My mouth had gone dry, and I felt my heart thudding against my chest.  On my second step into the kitchen the lights flicked on, and I ducked behind the nearest counter.  Minh ducked back into the bakery.  I saw her pink and black hi-tops slide quickly out of the way.
             
“Is…is someone there?” I heard a shaky male voice ask.  My first instinct was to jump up and give the owner of the voice a big hug, but my experience with that crazy bastard back on campus made me think twice.
            
 “Yes.  There’s two of us,” I yelled back without standing up, “We’re not here to make any trouble.” The male voice gasped in relief.
            
 “Oh! Survivors! How…how wonderful.  Please, come out.  I’m not going to hurt you.” My paranoia had not quite subsided, and I poked my eyes up over the counter so I could see the owner of the voice.  He was an older guy, maybe mid 50’s.  He was beanpole tall and an unkempt mess of a comb-over clung halfheartedly to his balding head.  He was wearing an apron that was stained with blotches of dried blood. 
             
“Let me see your hands,” I yelled from my cover.  He raised them quickly, as he glanced around the kitchen.  He was unarmed, but that didn't necessarily mean he was stable.  I stood up and set my shotgun on the counter in front of me.  As soon as he saw me, he dropped his hands and let out a pitiful moan—one that hinted at both grief and excitement.
           
 “What are you doing here?” I asked as Minh entered the kitchen and stood behind the counter with me.
             
“I…I work here.  Or, I guess, I did before all of this happened.  I had just started my evening shift when I saw people’s heads buh-blowing up.  Customers, employees.  Some ran outside, but I…I wuh-was too scared.  I just waited here until the screaming stopped,” Tears started to well up in his eyes, “Muh-my wife and daughters…I duh-don’t even know if…if they’re still alive.” The man broke down the way a toddler does when he finds out he’s lost and alone in the middle of a department store.
             
“If…if only I could reach them…I…I…” His sentence was interrupted by another bout of sobbing. 
             
“Well,” I spoke as softly as I could, “Where is your family? Where do you all live?” The man regained a bit of his composure.  Rubbing the wetness from his eyes and face, he explained that he and his wife live in the Avenues, which was about seven or eight miles away.  I guess the violent arrival of extra terrestrial lifeforms had left him a bit too petrified to make the trip back to them.
            
 “So, right now they’re just as likely to be alive as anything else.  Let’s just go and find them.  I’m sure they’ve just holed up inside your house.” His face brightened a bit at this.
            
 “Duh-do you think so? Really?” I shrugged.
            
 “Only one way to find out.  We’ll go with you, right Minh?”
             
Nod, followed by a grin.  The baker introduced himself as Lyle Wallace and once we got packed, I found him to be kind of pleasant in an awkward way.  As we left the shattered remains of the front entrance to Dan’s behind us and stepped into the light of the morning sun, a hideous thought entered my mind.
             
“Lyle,” I asked, “Your wife and daughters…have they by chance been using Vonix cellphones?”

No comments:

Post a Comment