Thursday, January 19, 2012

Episode 3.1

EPISODE 3: "OMNOS COMETH"
STARRING: IRA THE GEEK
SAN JOSE, CA



My knuckles had long since turned white as my shaky hands gripped the steering wheel of my Ford Focus. It had been roughly two hours since we escaped Omni-Com, and even though most of its employees were now corpses within its walls, I hadn’t heard a peep about it on any of the news channels I tried on the radio. Every five minutes I would change stations, gradually turning up the volume to drown out the snoring that was coming from the back seat where my grandmother was dozing. Veronica was sitting in the passenger seat with her unblinking eyes fixed steadily on the road in front of us. Her blond hair was pulled back in a short ponytail and was still wet from the process of washing out the blood of her coworkers. Small, dried bits of it were still trapped in the contours of her ear, signifying the speed at which we got out of town.

As the interstate unfolded before me, my mind struggled to comprehend the events that took place at Omni-Com this morning. Everything—the malfunctioning maintenance systems, the screams, and the blood—started with a simple automated phone call that was received by all Omni-Com employees last night, and eventually led roughly 99% of them do their deaths. I’m alive right now because a power outage shut off my alarm clock. I woke up somewhere around ten and frantically threw my clothes on, leaving without showering or eating breakfast.

When I pulled in to the Omni-Com parking lot, it was packed. I thought that this meeting was just for my software development department, but it looked like the whole damn company was there. The sliding glass doors slid open as I hurriedly approached them, but there was no one at reception to tell me where the meetings were taking place. I thought it was a bit odd to leave the entrance unmanned. Usually the atrium of Omni-Com is bustling with movement, but today it was eerily silent and devoid of people. I wandered around the atrium for a few minutes, hoping to bump into someone that could tell me where I was supposed to be, but the place was like a ghost town.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a good wordplay joke you should use.

    Death at Omni-Con = Necroomnicon, which, if you mix around just a couple letters, is Necronomicon.

    ReplyDelete